Article Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinecastrillon/2023/06/04/10-signs-its-time-to-leave-a-toxic-workplace/?sh=40e35c7a506c
Author: Caroline Castillo - Senior Contributor
Posted June 4th, 2023
Research Blog Post 1
Topic: Toxic Workplaces
A Forbes article on toxic workplaces shares that a toxic workplace is characterized by disrespect, discrimination, mistrust, and often hostility. The environment can negatively affect both productivity and well-being causing workplace stress, a fear of speaking up, and unfair exclusion from meetings.
The article shares 10 signs of when it's time to leave a workplace, starting with feeling physically and mentally exhausted during and after work, feeling demotivated, the company struggling to retain employees, promoting unhealthy boundaries, and lacking transparency. More signs that the article shares about when it is time to leave a toxic workplace is when colleagues, including yourself, constantly complain about work, the workplace does not support personal growth, encourages cronyism, permits harassment or bullying, or allows disrespectful behaviour. Furthermore, the article shares a report from the McKinsey Health Institute that one out of four employees worldwide experience high rates of toxic behaviour at work. Another study featured in the article by MIT Sloan reveals that a toxic workplace is the number one reason people are resigned.
In conclusion, the article in Forbes describes the worrying prevalence of toxic workplaces, which is a problem that has an enormous global impact. The article wisely emphasizes how crucial is it to identify the warning signs, from personal exhaustion and demotivation to the larger organizational issues of rapid turnover and a lack of transparency. The studies in the article recognize that action on these indications is crucial for both employees and employers in the quest for happier, healthier workplaces.
Reading this article, I didn't think the information would stick out to me on a personal level but I did find some sensitive topics that have resurfaced some memories of working in a toxic workplace myself. In the toxic workplace that I was employed at in the past, I experienced many of the things in the article, I always felt exhausted physically and more so mentally during and after work, it constantly felt draining. I was very demotivated to show up to work. I'm glad I'm no longer in that position and I appreciate that this article was relatable, making it a lot more interesting to read.
References
Castrillon, C. (2023, September 12). 10 signs it’s time to leave a toxic workplace. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinecastrillon/2023/06/04/10-signs-its-time-to-leave-a-toxic-workplace/?sh=40e35c7a506c
Thank you for sharing this insightful summary. It serves as an excellent reminder for me to recognize when it's time to depart from a toxic workplace, safeguarding both my physical and mental well-being. I must admit, I'm somewhat concerned about the widespread prevalence of toxic workplaces, a global issue with far-reaching consequences. How can I proactively identify and avoid such toxic environments before becoming entangled in them...
ReplyDeleteThanks Chacha, I found your summary and thoughts very easy to understand. I don't have very much experience with toxic work environments, so I'm glad to learn that workplace discrimination and disrespect can be identified in the form of exhaustion, unhealthy boundaries, complaints, and harassment, among other signs you mentioned. I believe that discussing these toxic workplace issues with your manager is crucial. This will help the organization recognize the problem and initiate change for a healthier work environment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for you summary on this article, I agree with most of your thoughts on it. I worked for the same company for fifteen years and I usually liked my workplace, but the years after the pandemic everything changed and it became a toxic place, there were a lot of injustices and managers talking bad and behind employee's back, that was one of the reason to resigned from that place and I am glad I left that work.
ReplyDeleteThis article also recalls my first job as a trainee at a company, I was stressed and exhausted due to the unfriendly working environment with my senior. I had a hard time overcoming the problem, but it helped me to grow stronger. A toxic workplace has an adverse effect on personal and mental health. This would have really driven me to quit but I was fortunate that I could move to another department to improve the working situation.
ReplyDeleteI too have had some experiences in a toxic work environment and it is disheartening to realize how widespread this problem is. Feeling physically and mentally exhausted, unmotivated, and constantly exhausted while working were emotions that I became very familiar with in that environment.
ReplyDelete